As a firm, Alman Partners True Wealth is dedicated to being the best we can be for our clients. Below are 10 Attributes of Great Financial Advisers/firms according to Dimensional. Given they have been working with financial advisers from all over the world for over 3 decades this list is a great benchmark to aspire to. How do you think we are going?
1. Purposeful: They have a clear mission to serve clients and help them reach their goals.
Great advisers want to do great work for their clients. They stake their business on doing the right thing — and know that business success will follow.
2. Empathetic: They know they cannot effectively serve clients without genuinely relating to them.
To serve well, an adviser must assume a client’s perspective. Empathetic advisers put themselves in their client’s shoes and work to understand what matters most to them.
3. Authentic: They reveal their true selves to clients.
Effective advisers elevate the connection with clients by revealing their own personal stories. A willingness to be transparent and vulnerable helps build client trust and encourages real communication.
4. Intellectually curious: They continue to search for the most robust solutions for clients.
Great advisers are on a continual path of professional improvement. They are lifelong learners, open to new ideas, and committed to honing their technical knowledge and skills.
5. Personally inquisitive: They work hard to uncover what’s truly meaningful to their clients.
Engaged advisers also have mastered the personal side of advice. They ask probing questions to better understand their client’s views on money and life before creating a plan.
6. Quiet: They listen more than they talk.
Active listening encourages clients to reveal their deeper thoughts — and often, an adviser’s best answer is to ask a question that sparks creative analysis and self-discovery.
7. Passionate: Their unwavering desire to do well for others drives constant improvement.
A strong sense of conviction to do right by clients compels great advisers to continue honing their craft and ultimately enhance the value clients receive.
8. Entrepreneurial: They run their practice as a business and plan strategically for the future.
Advisers can better serve clients when they run successful firms. Just as they encourage financial responsibility in their clients, top advisers apply a high standard to managing their own enterprise.
9. Honest: They set realistic expectations about controllable actions and probable outcomes.
While the best advice may not be easy to hear, great advisers communicate essential truths about money and investing so that clients have realistic expectations about their wealth.
10. Disciplined: They don’t let market swings or media messages drive impulsive actions.
Effective advisers know the importance of discipline and keeping a long-term focus, which can lead to a more enjoyable and promising financial journey.
Stephen Lowry (CFP® Professional, DFP, AIF®) is a representative of Alman Partners Pty Ltd, Australian Financial Services Licence No: 222107.
Any information provided to you was purely factual in nature. It has not been taken into account your personal objectives, situation or needs. The information is objectively ascertainable and is not intended to imply any recommendation or opinion about a financial product. This does not constitute financial product advice under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). It is recommended that you obtain financial product advice before making any decision on a financial product such as a decision to purchase or invest in a financial product. Please contact us if you would like to obtain financial product advice.