It’s a new year. This year is going to be different. You have set your goals. Made sure that they are SMART goals and even written them down. Then life happens.
Ever wondered why is it that some people seem to achieve whatever they set their mind to, while others start and never quite get there.
Whether your goals are personal or financial here is the Triple-A effect to achieving your goals, to keep you on track and increase the likelihood of your success.
1. Ask yourself questions:
- When you look at your goals how do you feel?
- Does visualising yourself achieving your goals put a smile on your face and make you excited?
- Have you prioritised your goals?
- What has derailed you previously? Learn from mistakes.
- What could I do differently, better, or more consistently?
- ‘I have a plan but cannot stick to it because of XYZ.’ Create step by step actions for each of your goals and stress test your plan.
- At times life does not always go exactly to plan. When you are considering throwing in the towel don’t just think about how you’re feeling now. Think about the implications for your goals and your future. Remember the thing about life is if you have gone off track you can always review, refocus and adjust.
3. Accountability: Having a Coach or Mentor increases your chances of success. When we track our progress and have someone holding us accountable it is human nature to want to be evaluated positively by others. In fact, in researching accountability, the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) discovered that people have a 65% chance of reaching a goal if they have an accountability partner. When selecting an accountability partner make sure it is someone who willing to practice tough love. By this, I do not mean it is about making you feel bad, rather supporting you by reminding you to focus on what is important to you.
If the New Year has brought about any new financial goals for you, please contact our office to review your financial plan. Working with your financial adviser, one who can provide objective guidance, keeping you focused on what is truly important to you, is an important step in achieving your True Wealth. Feel free to share the Triple-A effect with family and friends.
Katrina Dhu (GradDipFinPlan, DFS(FP), ADFS(FP), CommDec.) is a representative of Alman Partners Pty Ltd, Australian Financial Services Licence No: 222107.
Note: This material is provided for information only. No account has been taken of the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person or entity. Accordingly, to the extent that this material may constitute general financial product advice, investors should, before acting on the advice, consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. This is not an offer or recommendation to buy or sell securities or other financial products, nor a solicitation for deposits or other business, whether directly or indirectly.